Here are some quick and helpful tips for software asset management (SAM).
• Set Goals for your company’s SAM
• Take an inventory
• Match Software with Licenses
• Organize licensing documentation (create a repository)
• Plan for the Long-Term
• Develop a set of rules and procedures to promote good SAM practices
• Create a SAM plan to keep licensing in line moving forward
Software licensing and compliance are extremely complex. We specialize in Oracle licensing and software asset management (Microsoft, too). Having a good software asset management program has prevented millions of dollars during surprise audits and during licensing re-negotiations.