At a recent event in London, Steve Ballmer was asked about Microsoft’s complex licensing policies to which he acknowledged that yes, Microsoft licensing isn’t simple, never has been and probably never will be. So, is there a chance for changes in the near future? Nope, of course not! Ballmer even bolded stated that it just isn’t going to happen.
So, here’s our advice to combat this.
- Start paying attention to the fine print. Look at your terms and conditions.
- Be smart and don’t give any information away to Microsoft until you understand what you have and where you have gaps.
- Review your business needs and align with your software solutions.
- Ensure that there is an annual internal audit of all your software licensing.
- Put in a good software asset management program – from creation of policies to procedures to an official procurement office.
Be proactive. Don’t wait until Microsoft’s growing licensing policies catch up to you. Remember, Microsoft and the ever present, ever watchful BSA is watching you.